I was racking my brain on how to do this week’s theme: I CAN BE A MISSIONARY NOW. I came across this idea presentation on Pergler’s Primary Page. I thought it was such a well thought out presentation. My plan was to use it for this Sunday. That’s still my plan. While thinking about what I needed to prepare, I was inspired looking at a shoebox. That’s how you can tell I’m a Primary Chorister. Shoe boxes inspire me. This idea is the 3-D version of Darcee’s awesome idea. Let’s take a closer look at my door of opportunity.
I just covered the shoe box with paper and drew my door. The door is the lid for the shoe box. I found the perfect screw to use for the door knob. I wanted the kids to be able to pull the door open. It will be explained to the kids that even though they aren’t missionaries now with a name tag, it doesn’t mean that they can’t be missionaries now. Missionaries knock on doors to find opportunities to share the gospel. We don’t knock on doors to find opportunities, but there are other times when the door opens to share the gospel.
1) PRAYING FOR OPPORTUNITIES – I will tell the kids that they can pray for missionary opportunities. Heavenly Father will help us find people to share the gospel with. The song they will sing for that will be “Praise to the Man”.
2) SHARING A BOOK OF MORMON – Have you ever shared a Book Of Mormon? I will explain to the kids that sharing a Book of Mormon is a great opportunity to share the gospel. They can share stories as well with their friends from the Book of Mormon. I will have them sing “Nephi’s Courage”.
3) BEARING YOUR TESTIMONY – Bearing your testimony on Fast Sunday is a way to share the gospel with others that may be visiting the ward. The kids will sing “I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ”.
4) INVITING FRIENDS TO ACTIVITY DAYS/CUB SCOUTS – Inviting friends is a way to share the gospel and have fun. The perfect song for this is “Our Door is Always Open”.
5) BEING A FRIEND EVEN THOUGH SOMEONE MAY NOT LIKE YOU – Explain to the kids that when they come across kids that are not nice, that’s an opportunity to be an example. Always be a friend. Have the kids sing “Kindness Begins With Me”.
6) ALWAYS TRY TO BE LIKE THE SAVIOR – Explain to the children that when they always do what the Savior would want them to do, they will be an example to others, which is a great way to have others be interested in the church. “If I Listen With My Heart”.
I’m so excited to show this to the kids tomorrow. My goal is to help them see the missionary opportunities that are all around them. Sorry this is so last minute, but if you’re up at the 11th hour (like I usually am), hopefully this will help you.